- Be either 16 or 17 years old by June 27, 2018
- Meet the program requirements for The Fresh Air Fund:
- Must live in and go to school in one of NYC’s five boroughs AND
- Must be eligible for free or reduced lunch under the USDA income guidelines
- Be available for the entire summer program (see dates)
- Be a former Fresh Air Fund participant or a participant of a similar camp program
- Have an interest in working with children and improving leadership and communication skills through workshops and hands-on activities in an outdoor setting
- Be flexible and open to trying new programs and being a cooperative member of a team
- CITs are required to attend all four sessions in order to successfully complete the program. Click here for dates. The Fresh Air Fund will provide transportation.
Focuses heavily on skill building workshops centered on professional development, self-exploration, understanding camp life, team building, and beginning mental and physical training for the 4 day hike on the Appalachian Trail.
Focuses on continuing preparations for the 4 day hike. CITs begin observing and shadowing program areas to understand the roles and responsibilities of staff members at camp.
CITs will hike the Appalachian Trail. CITs will also shadow general counselors to gain more hands on experience working with children.
Each CIT is placed with a group of campers to fully assist in the day to day responsibilities of camp staff in caring for campers.
CITs may also obtain CPR and First Aid Certification during their time at camp.
The Fresh Air Fund will process CIT applications as they are received. Applications will be reviewed by a Camp Director once they are complete, including the three references.
The final deadline to submit applications is March 15. We encourage applicants to apply as early as possible since positions will fill up quickly. Applications that are received after the deadline will be considered if any spots remain in the program.
Complete the application in detail and send the reference forms to the people filling them out for you. The reference forms can be returned with your application or can be sent directly to The Fresh Air Fund. Completed applications and references should be submitted by mail or email. Our contact information is listed on page 1 of the application.
We will contact applicants with an update on their status within a few weeks of receiving the application. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis and final decisions will be made by early April.
3. Program Paperwork
All accepted CITs will be required to submit a completed Fresh Air Fund camper application, which includes a medical form. CITs will need to submit additional paperwork to attend the program. All documents must be submitted by the set deadline in order for CITs to attend camp.
4, Parent/Guardian Orientation
All CITs and a parent/guardian must attend an orientation session at our New York City office. We will discuss the program in more detail and go over additional information about the summer.
We look forward to receiving your application! If you have any questions, please contact us at 212-897-8919.