Teen leaders at Camp ABC…
participate in many camp activities, from team sports to art and music classes, in addition to leadership development and team-building workshops. Girls’ empowerment workshops cover a wide range of topics from self-esteem, body image and healthy choices, bullying, social justice and public speaking to goal setting and conflict resolution.
During the summer, girls participate in Leaders-in-Training and Counselors-in-Training programs. During the academic year, a group of teen leaders participate in the youth-led Young Women’s Giving Circle which teaches girls about the importance of community service and the power of philanthropy. With the guidance of advisors, students meet weekly to continue their learning, research social issues, plan community service projects and strategize for fundraising.
The Fund’s Precious Center for Teen Leadership at Camp ABC provides a home for the Teen Leadership Program. The Center was created with the generous support of The Gary Magness Family Foundation. Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness were inspired by producing the film Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire.
Program Components include:
- Traditional camp activities including art and music classes, environmental science, swimming, and hiking
- Workshops: During their time at camp, each young woman participates in six workshops. Workshop themes include:
- Personal Growth, Leadership and Community Service Projects. Activities may focus on self-esteem, self-love, body image, bullying, social justice, public speaking, goal setting, stereotypes, conflict resolution, healthy choices, and communication.
- Community Service Projects
- Reflection and Evaluation