Job Readiness Training Program
A six week virtual program for 14 & 15 year-olds that meets for 15 hours a week and provides training in job readiness and leadership skills. Students receive training on team building and life skills, including financial literacy and effective communication.
A seven week program for 16 & 17 year-olds with a one week virtual orientation followed by a six week, 20 hour per week internship, either virtually or in-person. During the internship, there are ongoing professional development opportunities, including resume workshops and career exploration. Mentors and instructors are available to provide guidance.
In collaboration with several partners, the Credentialing Program will offer a range of courses for students 14-17 years old to explore and build basic, industry-level skills and receive a certificate upon completion. The credentialing programs will meet virtually and range from three weeks to seven weeks. The following programs will be offered:
- Architecture and Urban Design
- Program Description: Hosted by the University of Pennsylvania’s Weitzman School of Design, Penn Praxis is an intensive, virtual design program taught by top graduates and students. Students work together on two architecture and urban design projects which cover topics from virtual media to science to forestry.
- Time: Seven weeks, Monday – Friday, 10:00am – 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 3:00pm (20 hours per week)
- Monday, July 6 – Friday, August 21
- Stipend: $1000
- Environmental Education
- Program Description: Offered in partnership with the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), an organization dedicated to teaching leadership skills and environmental education, this program develops students’ wilderness skills, interest in environmental studies, exploration of self and community, risk management and leadership skills.
- Time: Three weeks, Monday – Friday, 1 – 5 pm (20 hours per week)
- Session 1: Monday, July 13 – Friday, July 31
- Session 2: Monday, August 3 – Friday, August 21
- Stipend: $500
- Video Game Design
- Program Description: This program provides students with an introduction to computer science through video game design and provides the opportunity to interact with and learn from professional game developers at major game development studios. A series of projects and experiences provide an introduction to computer programming and exposure to what educational and career opportunities in computer science fields look like.
- Time: Six weeks, Monday – Friday, 1 – 4 pm (15 hours per week)
- Monday, July 13 – Friday, August 21
- Stipend: $750
- Program Description: Youthful Savings is an entrepreneurial program that focuses on financial literacy and wellness, and basic business concepts, including how to gain investments and market your business. Students develop communication skills, professional business knowledge and compete for a chance to earn an investment for their own business. The program also offers access to online resources available for a year. Students have 1:1 mentorship opportunities from staff from top companies including venture capital funds, SnapChat, Tik Tok, ViceMedia, JP Morgan Chase and more.
- Time: Five weeks, Monday – Friday, Group 1: 1 – 2 pm; Group 2: 2 – 3 pm (10 hours per week)
- Thursday, July 23 – Thursday, August 20
- Stipend: $500 (plus the chance to win investment money!)